Create an emergency survival kit for your home
Make an emergency cache of supplies. Remember, after a large earthquake, you may not be able to get to stores, and your water and electricity may be cut off.
Large earthquakes occur repeatedly on the Big Island. This one was centered in Kapoho, in 1960.
Home Emergency Survival Kit Checklist
- Portable radio
- Five-day non-perishable food supply
- Ice chest
- Containers of water (2 quarts per person per day)
- Sleeping bags or blankets
- Personal toilet articles and sanitary needs
- Disposable diapers
- Manual can opener
- Cooking stove
- Fuel for stoves, hibachis, or lanterns
- Pet food
A large earthquake may destroy your water tank. Have an emergency supply of drinking water handy.
Organize an emergency supply of food and medical supplies this weekend. Isn't your family worth it?
A large earthquake may make roads impassable, cutting off your access to stores and hospitals.