How to protect your home from runaway brushfires
- Use fire resistant building material.
- Clean your roof of accumulated leaves, twigs, pine needles, and other flammable material.
- Clear all branches overhanging your roof.
- Keep your chimney clean and store firewood away from your home.
- Control the vegetation around your home. Create a 30-foot-wide cleared area around your home. Trees and shrubs should be at least 15 feet away from your home and 15 feet apart. Plant varieties that retain water and resist fire.
- Have fire tools handy, such as a ladder, a 100-foot hose connected to a tap, a shovel and a bucket.
- If you use water catchment for your domestic water supply, always maintain at least 8000 gal of available water.
- Widen your driveway to 16 feet so fire trucks can have easy access.
- Post emergency phone numbers and plan an evacuation route.