How to prevent brushfires from starting
- Keep matches and lighters away from children.
- If you want to burn trash, do so in a metal container, after you have cleared the surrounding area. Make sure you aren't near overhanging branches, and never leave a fire unattended.
- Never throw cigarette butts out your vehicle window.
- Install spark arresters on small engines and equipment.
- Weld only in a shop building or a cleared area.
- If your car has a catalytic converter, keep it off dry grass and away from brush.
- Report any suspicious or out of place persons or vehicles that you think might be maliciously starting fires.