Summer Art Institute - UH Hilo Art Department
Summer Art Institute Hilo 2015
SummerAi-Hilo is an intense, six week studio art program offered in the summer session at UH Hilo. Enrollment is open to a limited number of students, teachers, and artists. Courses can be taken for academic credit. Apply Now!
Historically, the Art Department at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo has attracted students who appreciate the opportunity to pursue higher education grounded within an intimately scaled program. For artists, UH Hilo’s location in a lush, tropical landscape shaped by the formidable forces of nature provides inspiration in every direction.
The program offers participants many opportunities to interact with world-class visiting artists and faculty, view special exhibits, attend artist lectures, and participate in focused art workshops. This year’s six week program will focus on drawing from a representational/digital/conceptual perspective . Individuals seeking art experiences, but not a degree, may take the course as an unclassified student without enrolling in a degree program.
SummerAi – 2015 will provide 3 credits of Beginning or Advanced level instruction in drawing over six week-ends of intensive studio engagement beginning June 27-28 through August 1-2, 2015. 8-8 Instructional Lab and Group Review sessions are designed to accommodate individuals who must juggle the demands of a regular work week schedule, and summer student visitors who would appreciate an opportunity to explore and to be inspired by the Big Island.
8-8 Instructional Lab:
Saturday: June 27th, July 4th (rescheduled for a date TBA), 11th, 18th, 25th and August 1st
- Morning: Moses Kealamakia, Jr., 8:00 am - 11:00 am
- Afternoon: Colleen Cannon-Karlos, 12:30 pm - 3:30 pm
- Evening: Kaori Ukaji-Lang, 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Group Review with the cohort of SAiH faculty, associates and visiting artists.
Sunday: June 28th, July 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th and August 2nd from 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Open Studio Hours
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to Midnight
- Students enrolled in the summer course will have access to the 389 studio to further develop work initiated during the instructional labs or to create new works that have been inspired by interactions on the Big Island.
Program Dates: June 27 through August 2, 2015
- May 31, 2015: SAiH registration deadline
- Admission to the program after 5/31/2015 will be contingent upon availability of remaining program seats
For the six week 3 credit course (A lab fee $100 also applies):
- $831 Resident ($277 per credit hour)
- $985.50 Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) and Pacific Islands ($328.50 per credit hour)
- $1140 Non-Resident ($380 per credit hour)
- $35 Student Life Center Fee
Dormitory housing (if needed) is available through the UH Hilo Summer Housing Program.
For more information, contact:Art Department, Chair
University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo
200 W. Kawili St.
Hilo, HI 96720-4091
Phone: (808) 932-7237
Fax: (808) 974-7712