Orientation is filled with fun activities, events, and workshops all designed to Create Connections with other new students, with our amazing UH Hilo faculty, and with numerous campus resources and the awesome staff that run them. We'll also have workshops which will help to set you up to be Academically Successful here at UH Hilo, and of course there will be lots and lots of Vulcan spirit as we welcome you into our university ʻOhana.
Fall 2015 New Student Orientation
The dates have been set for Fall 2015 New Student Orientation!
- Check In and Day 1: Wednesday, August 19
- 5 day New Student Orientation: Wednesday, August 19 - Sunday, August 23
- 2 day Parent & Family Orientation: Wednesday, August 19 - Thursday, August 20
Registration will open June 1st so keep an eye out for more details soon.
As you're making your travel arrangements, be sure to check out our Travel Info page. You could be eligible for a discounted flight.
Airport Shuttle to campus
Looking ahead to Fall New Student Orientation, we will have shuttles available to pick you up from the airport and bring you to campus. This service is free and is a way for us to welcome you to Hilo and into our ʻohana (family).
Stay tuned for more information once Fall gets closer.
International Students, please click here for information.
What others have said
We always like to assess the programs that we offer so that we can continue to improve the way in which we support the success of our students. Here are a couple of things our students told us last year about their Orientation experience:
- 97% said "Orientation helped me feel welcomed to UH Hilo"
- 93% said "Through Orientation I learned about resources and offices on campus"
- 99% said "Orientation helped me feel better prepared to start my first semester at UH Hilo"
- 92% said "I would recommend this orientation program to other new students"
One student said:
"I am a non-traditional transfer student and, even though I am not freshman age or a new student, I really got a lot out of attending orientation. I didn't feel singled out because of my age or where I'm from. In fact, I felt right at home because of the incredible diversity in age and ethnicity on campus. I'm glad I am attending UH Hilo and I would highly recommend attending it to my friends and family."
Another student said:
"It was very helpful in my transition into college, I recommend this program to new upcoming freshmen."