New Policy for enrolling in Math classes - Announcement Details
This announcement has concluded and is no longer current.
New Policy for enrolling in Math classes
Important Advising Announcement: Change in policy for admitting students into introductory Math classes.
Beginning Fall 2006, including early registration, all students wishing to enroll in Math 103, 104F, 104G, 104, 115, 205, or 206, must satisfy one of the following:
1. Student has completed the prerequisites for the course at the college level; or
2. After taking the Math Placement Exam, the student has been assigned a Math Placement Score (MPS) by the UHH Math department sufficiently high to enter the course.
Note: Prerequisites and MPS for these courses are listed below. Banner will NOT allow students who do not satisfy 1 or 2 above to register.
For those students who do not satisfy the prerequisites, and hence must take the Math Placement Exam, their MPS will be assigned by the department at the time of their Exam, and will be based on the Math Placement Exam, and as much additional information as is available regarding past performance indicators including Math SAT and high school math performance. (Advisors will simply ask each student about this additional information, no official transcsripts are needed.)
This new policy DOES NOT apply to enrollment in Math 100, 107, 108, 121, or courses above 206. Students wishing to enroll in these math classes may do so as before, with no restrictions.
In order to accommodate the students within this new requirement, the Math department intends to:
1. Offer the Math Placement Exam during the following times:
a. Early Registration: three times weekly during the first three weeks of April, 2006, in CH-5, MTR 1-4pm.
b. The remainder of Spring 2006 semester: once a week, Tuesdays 1-4pm in CH-5.
c. Regular Summer Session: once a week, Fridays 9am – 12 noon in CH-5.
d. Fall Orientation: 3 full days, dates/times/venue TBA.
e. First week of Fall 2006 classes: 3 times a week in CH-5, details TBA
f. Remainder of Fall 2006: once a week in CH-5, details TBA
No appointments necessary, but students need to bring with them their UHH ID#.
2. Advise students on the spot once they’ve completed the exam, and assign a Math Placement Score. Math faculty will have student Math SAT scores on record (within Banner), and students will be advised to [verbally] provide information regarding their high school performance (last two math classes taken in high school, and grades).
3. Upload the Math Placement Scores into Banner within 24 hours, hopefully much sooner in most cases, and students will then be allowed to register online as with any other course, for those courses for which they are authorized.
The prerequisites and Math Placement Scores for these restricted courses are:
Math 103 Math Placement Score (MPS) at least 10
Math 104F or Math 115 C in Math 103, or MPS at least 20
Math 104 B+ in Math 103, or MPS at least 30
Math 104G C in Math 104F, or MPS at least 40
Math 205 C in Math 104 or Math 104G, or MPS at least 50
Math 206 C in Math 205, or MPS at least 60
For further information you may contact Ms. Nadine Wolff, Math Tutoring Lab Supervisor, email@example.com, or Dr. Anderson, Chair, Mathematics firstname.lastname@example.org
What's also happening?
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
- SAC Four Leaf Clover Hunt
- On March 10–14, 2014, you will see Four leaf clovers posted all over the UH Hilo campus. Collect as much as you can and bring them to the Student Activities Council (SAC) Saint Patricks Day event held on March 17th, 2014.
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2014-2015
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2014-2015 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2014. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
- Global Lens Film Series
- The Global Lens film series returns to UH Hilo this spring! The series a critically acclaimed showcase of award-winning, independent narrative features from around the world. ...
- SAC: Plaza Market Monday
- During the Spring semester, UH Hilo's Student Activities Council (SAC) will sponsor Plaza Market Monday every 2nd and 4th Monday from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. ...
- Swing Dance Club
- Swing Dance Club meets Fridays, 5:45-8:00 pm at the Old Gym! Come join us for a night of instruction, fun, free dancing... and swing!