New Policy for enrolling in Math classes - Announcement Details
This announcement has concluded and is no longer current.
New Policy for enrolling in Math classes
Important Advising Announcement: Change in policy for admitting students into introductory Math classes.
Beginning Fall 2006, including early registration, all students wishing to enroll in Math 103, 104F, 104G, 104, 115, 205, or 206, must satisfy one of the following:
1. Student has completed the prerequisites for the course at the college level; or
2. After taking the Math Placement Exam, the student has been assigned a Math Placement Score (MPS) by the UHH Math department sufficiently high to enter the course.
Note: Prerequisites and MPS for these courses are listed below. Banner will NOT allow students who do not satisfy 1 or 2 above to register.
For those students who do not satisfy the prerequisites, and hence must take the Math Placement Exam, their MPS will be assigned by the department at the time of their Exam, and will be based on the Math Placement Exam, and as much additional information as is available regarding past performance indicators including Math SAT and high school math performance. (Advisors will simply ask each student about this additional information, no official transcsripts are needed.)
This new policy DOES NOT apply to enrollment in Math 100, 107, 108, 121, or courses above 206. Students wishing to enroll in these math classes may do so as before, with no restrictions.
In order to accommodate the students within this new requirement, the Math department intends to:
1. Offer the Math Placement Exam during the following times:
a. Early Registration: three times weekly during the first three weeks of April, 2006, in CH-5, MTR 1-4pm.
b. The remainder of Spring 2006 semester: once a week, Tuesdays 1-4pm in CH-5.
c. Regular Summer Session: once a week, Fridays 9am – 12 noon in CH-5.
d. Fall Orientation: 3 full days, dates/times/venue TBA.
e. First week of Fall 2006 classes: 3 times a week in CH-5, details TBA
f. Remainder of Fall 2006: once a week in CH-5, details TBA
No appointments necessary, but students need to bring with them their UHH ID#.
2. Advise students on the spot once they’ve completed the exam, and assign a Math Placement Score. Math faculty will have student Math SAT scores on record (within Banner), and students will be advised to [verbally] provide information regarding their high school performance (last two math classes taken in high school, and grades).
3. Upload the Math Placement Scores into Banner within 24 hours, hopefully much sooner in most cases, and students will then be allowed to register online as with any other course, for those courses for which they are authorized.
The prerequisites and Math Placement Scores for these restricted courses are:
Math 103 Math Placement Score (MPS) at least 10
Math 104F or Math 115 C in Math 103, or MPS at least 20
Math 104 B+ in Math 103, or MPS at least 30
Math 104G C in Math 104F, or MPS at least 40
Math 205 C in Math 104 or Math 104G, or MPS at least 50
Math 206 C in Math 205, or MPS at least 60
For further information you may contact Ms. Nadine Wolff, Math Tutoring Lab Supervisor, email@example.com, or Dr. Anderson, Chair, Mathematics firstname.lastname@example.org
What's also happening?
|Week of April 23, 2006||Next →|
- Holiday Card Drive with SAC and CCS
- Aloha UH Hilo 'Ohana, The UH Hilo Student Activities Council (SAC) and the Campus and Community Service (CCS) program is asking for donations of unused holiday cards to send to our servicemen and servicewomen in December. ...
- Haumana Hou Lounge
- New Student Programs is happy to announce that the Haumana Hou Lounge is beginning and happening every Tuesday! Stop by the Hale Kehau Lounge every Tuesday starting October 20, 2015 for a relaxing place to study. ...
- Register now for Fall 2015 Commencement
- Eight weeks left to register for Fall 2015 Commencement! Register now to participate in graduation ceremonies! graduation.uhhcc.org/ 2015 Fall Commencement Saturday, December 19, 2015 UH Hilo Vulcan Gymnasium
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
- International Nights: You're Invited to Perform
- The UH Hilo International Student Association invites individuals and groups to perform at International Nights, scheduled for February 19 & 20, 2016. Submit the online application form at go.hawaii.edu/H7. ...
- APIASF Scholarship
- Apply for a scholarship from APIASF (Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Foundation)! Eligibility criteria: Be of Asian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity as defined by the U.S. ...
- UH Hilo Bike Share Program
- The University Concierge by New Student Programs is proud to offer UH Hilo's new Bike Share Program! All current students, faculty, and staff have the opportunity to borrow a bicycle to run errands around town. ...
- The University Concierge is Open!
- UH Hilo welcomes the newest service to support our university and community ‘ohana. Introducing The University Concierge. Located on the first floor of the Student Services Center, The University Concierge is a gateway for campus information. ...
- Academic Achievement Awards Card
- New Student Programs wants to help you succeed! Our Academic Achievement Awards Cards program is a way for you to be rewarded when you do well on a homework assignment, report, tests, and more. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.