New Policy for enrolling in Math classes - Announcement Details
This announcement has concluded and is no longer current.
New Policy for enrolling in Math classes
Important Advising Announcement: Change in policy for admitting students into introductory Math classes.
Beginning Fall 2006, including early registration, all students wishing to enroll in Math 103, 104F, 104G, 104, 115, 205, or 206, must satisfy one of the following:
1. Student has completed the prerequisites for the course at the college level; or
2. After taking the Math Placement Exam, the student has been assigned a Math Placement Score (MPS) by the UHH Math department sufficiently high to enter the course.
Note: Prerequisites and MPS for these courses are listed below. Banner will NOT allow students who do not satisfy 1 or 2 above to register.
For those students who do not satisfy the prerequisites, and hence must take the Math Placement Exam, their MPS will be assigned by the department at the time of their Exam, and will be based on the Math Placement Exam, and as much additional information as is available regarding past performance indicators including Math SAT and high school math performance. (Advisors will simply ask each student about this additional information, no official transcsripts are needed.)
This new policy DOES NOT apply to enrollment in Math 100, 107, 108, 121, or courses above 206. Students wishing to enroll in these math classes may do so as before, with no restrictions.
In order to accommodate the students within this new requirement, the Math department intends to:
1. Offer the Math Placement Exam during the following times:
a. Early Registration: three times weekly during the first three weeks of April, 2006, in CH-5, MTR 1-4pm.
b. The remainder of Spring 2006 semester: once a week, Tuesdays 1-4pm in CH-5.
c. Regular Summer Session: once a week, Fridays 9am – 12 noon in CH-5.
d. Fall Orientation: 3 full days, dates/times/venue TBA.
e. First week of Fall 2006 classes: 3 times a week in CH-5, details TBA
f. Remainder of Fall 2006: once a week in CH-5, details TBA
No appointments necessary, but students need to bring with them their UHH ID#.
2. Advise students on the spot once they’ve completed the exam, and assign a Math Placement Score. Math faculty will have student Math SAT scores on record (within Banner), and students will be advised to [verbally] provide information regarding their high school performance (last two math classes taken in high school, and grades).
3. Upload the Math Placement Scores into Banner within 24 hours, hopefully much sooner in most cases, and students will then be allowed to register online as with any other course, for those courses for which they are authorized.
The prerequisites and Math Placement Scores for these restricted courses are:
Math 103 Math Placement Score (MPS) at least 10
Math 104F or Math 115 C in Math 103, or MPS at least 20
Math 104 B+ in Math 103, or MPS at least 30
Math 104G C in Math 104F, or MPS at least 40
Math 205 C in Math 104 or Math 104G, or MPS at least 50
Math 206 C in Math 205, or MPS at least 60
For further information you may contact Ms. Nadine Wolff, Math Tutoring Lab Supervisor, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Dr. Anderson, Chair, Mathematics email@example.com
What's also happening?
- International Buddy Program
- Become a buddy for a new international student! We are looking for students, especially students from Hawaiʻi and the US mainland, to volunteer as a buddy for a new international student in the fall. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Applications
- Are you a US citizen interested in studying abroad while conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2016-2017 academic year. ...
- Epic Origami at ʻImiloa
- ʻImiloa will explore the art and science of origami in its new temporary exhibit, Epic Origami, which will run from July 5 through September 27, 2015. ...
- RISO Orientation and Funding Workshop
- Interested in reapplying as a Registered Independent Student Organization (R.I.S.O.) for the 2015-2016 school year... ...
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship Applications
- UH Hilo students of Asian American and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity who are US citizens, nationals or permanent residents (or citizens of the FSM, Palau or the Marshall Islands) are eligible to apply for the APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship for the ...
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.